Are you tired of making payments to cable services and not getting a run for your money? Have you ever thought of applying for a discounted YouTube cost? This post “YouTube TV Student Discount” will provide insight on everything you need to know. We also talked about introduction to YouTube TV and things to know about YouTube TV subscription. As well as the Advantages of YouTube TV and Cons of YouTube TV.
YouTube is an application that gives you access to online videos and allows you share them as well. It is an app that also serves as a form of social media platform. In other to have full access to YouTube, you first need to have a YouTube channel which is usually the user’s home page. Personally you can have as many YouTube channels as you want as long as you have access and upload videos online. While YouTube can very much be used to pass time, a lot of people make their living from the application. When you stack up enough subscribers and views, you automatically get to be among YouTube’s payroll.
YouTube TV on the other hand is an American streaming platform also operated by YouTube and solely owned by Google. This platform can be likened to other normal television channels as they also are a form of entertainment. We shall talk extensively about YouTube TV and how it came into existence in details.
Introduction to YouTube TV
With the advancement in digital technology, TV streaming services are fast becoming more popular. This popularity is due to the fact that they offer you a low monthly cost subscription. What this simply means is that you can renew your subscription whenever you want to and cancel as well. Services like Netflix and Hulu are fast becoming the trend however, YouTube TV is the newest option in the market. What then I’d YouTube TV?
YouTube TV is a streaming service where you can watch and record live TV from normal cable networks. With YouTube TV , you can watch whatever channel you want whenever you want and wherever you want. In addition to this, you can also decide to record your favorite TV to watch later if you are unavailable. The amazing thing about YouTube TV is that you can have up to 6 accounts in one subscription. You can also share your subscription details with family and friends if you want to.
Advantages of YouTube TV
- With YouTube TV, you don’t need to sign any contract as there are no commitments. You can cancel any time you want.
- You can stream YouTube TV on any smart devices; Laptop, Desktop etc.
- There are multiple channels on interest on YouTube TV. You can watch as much shows as you please
- You can have up to 6 accounts on one subscription. This means that not only you but also family and friends can be involved.
- Google offers you a one month free trial to access YouTube TV. You don’t need to pay to enjoy the free trial.
Cons of YouTube TV
As the Advantages have been stated above, there are also downsides to YouTube TV. Some of them are;
- YouTube TV is only available in 15 cities in the U.S.
- It has limited channels as opposed to what cable providers offer.
- They also have very limited sports channel. However, this limitation strongly depends on your environment.
- YouTube TV is also more expensive than a lot of other channels
- On YouTube TV, you only have the option to Screen record and not download. You can not watch channels offline.
Things to know about YouTube TV subscription
There are certain things you should know before you venture into the world of YouTube TV. The following knowledge will help when you decide to subscribe to YouTube TV. They are:
- You can register 6 accounts under one subscription package
- There are no commitments when it comes to YouTube TV subscription. You can always cancel your subscription whenever you please.
- In addition to the no commitments Clause, you have one month free trial.
- Consequent subscription of the YouTube TV is done automatically. You don’t need to panic and keep checking to see if your previous subscription is expired.
- After your first payment, you receive a free Chromecast device.
About YouTube TV Student Discount
So many students today have saved a lot of money by taking advantage of the YouTube TV Student Discount. However, before you can start enjoying discounts as a student, you have to first be signed in YouTube Music premium. If you meet the required criteria for membership, you’ll be eligible for up to 4 years of students membership.
Furthermore, before you can sign up for a student membership, you need to be recognized as a student. This means that you have to be enrolled in a higher institution where YouTube memberships are authorized by SheerID. You might be wondering how you would know if your institution has SheerID authorization. Well, we shall tell you how to find out in this post “YouTube TV Student Discount”.
How do I know if my institution is authorized?
To know if your college or university have authorized YouTube TV Student membership, follow the following steps
- Open YouTube Premium or YouTube Music premium
- Go to the student membership landing page
- Select Free Trial
- Type your institution name on the SheerID form
- If the name of your institution appears, then you are authorized for YouTube TV Student Discount.
How to get YouTube TV Student Discount
As earlier said, before you can have access to YouTube TV Student Discount, you must be a premium member. However, you can follow these steps to get YouTube TV Student Discount. They are;
- Go to student YouTube TV premium page
- Click on free trial
- If your eligibility has been verified, you’ll I directed to YouTube to complete your Sign up
- However, if you’re not instantly verified, you’ll be required to upload documents for that to be done
- The documents will be reviewed manually. In 20 minutes or 48 hours, you’ll receive a mail confirming your eligibility.
- After confirming your eligibility, log back into your account
- Go to your profile by tapping your profile picture
- Click on “Paid membership”. You’ll see a pop up notification requesting you to finish sign up
- Select payment method you want or add one
- Click “Buy” to complete transaction
Is YouTube TV worth it??
Of course YouTube TV is a better deal than cable or satellite TV as they all offer almost the same channels. Although Cable TV offer about 250 channels however, it is not all the channels you watch. There are so many channels you don’t watch on Cable TV yet the cost keeps getting higher. Unlike YouTube TV where you pay only for channels that you are interested in watching. Also, with YouTube TV, you get free DVR with Unlimited space which is a really great deal.
How to sign up for YouTube TV
To sign up for YouTube TV, follow the steps below;
- Visit www.tv.youtube.com/welcome / in any browser
- Click on the “Try 1 month free” button
- Select a Google Account of your choice and sign in if you need to.
- Click “Lets go”
- Follow the prompts from the sign up process and customize your membership.
- Select a payment method and confirm.
Where can I watch my YouTube TV?
YouTube TV is made available on several devices as it a Google service. However, if you need a comprehensive list on the kinds of device you can operate YouTube TV on, below are a few:
- Android Phones
- Iphones (Version iOS 9.1 or later)
- iPad Tablet
- Computers and desktops
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Apple Airplay
Alternatives to YouTube TV
If you have read everything written above and you still feel like YouTube TV is not for you, there are a couple others you can try. One of the biggest and most popular alternative out there is Netflix. With Netflix, you can get unlimited TV shows for a low price monthly. Also, depending on your subscription package, you can as well share a Netflix account with family and friends. Another alternative include Hulu, Prime Video, HBO, Apple TV etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the downside of YouTube TV?
One major downside of YouTube TV is it’s cost and unavailability in many region. YouTube is relatively more expensive than cable TVs and are available in limited number of cities.
What major channels are missing on YouTube TV?
YouTube TV lacks some major sports channel. Just recently they got a new agreement with Disney to stream their shows.
Which is better? YouTube TV or Hulu?
The only difference between these streaming platforms comes down to number of channels. While YouTube TV boasts of 77 channels, Hulu have about 75 channels.
How does YouTube TV Student Discount work?
To be eligible for the discount, you must first confirm that your school is authorized by SheerID. After this is confirmed, you can apply and get a discounted price if you pay for 12 months up front.
Can YouTube student premium be shared?
Yes, it can! You can invite family and friends to the group to share your YouTube premium membership with them. You can also share YouTube music premium membership and YouTube TV membership as well.